DAT file format description
Many people often share .dat files without providing instructions on how to use them. This can make it difficult for users to determine which program is compatible for editing, converting, or printing .dat files. To address this issue, we have created this page to offer assistance and guidance on handling .dat files. We provide information on compatible software, editing instructions and conversion options to help users effectively interact with .dat files.
Our aim is to simplify the process and promote seamless use of the .dat file format.
21 filename extension(s) found in our database.
- General Data File
- Affymetrix Image Data File
- DataFlex Database File
- Treepad Database
- Radiance Data File
- eM Client Database
- SVAL Frequency-time Spectrogram Data
- Shareaza Thumbnail Data
- SWAT Database
- SPOT Satellite Image Format Data
- Inno Setup Uninstall Data
- Celestia Binary Database
- Minecraft Game Data
- SimCity 4 Game Data
- Windows Registry Hive Data
- GameMaker Studio Audio Data Package
- Prince of Persia Game Data
- Alan IF Adventure Data
- Unreal Tournament Game Data
- Nero BackItUp Drive Image
- Tecplot ASCII Data
- .dat file related problems
.dat - General Data File
The DAT file is a General Data File. The DAT file extensions is generally used for a "Data" file in which programs store their related data, be it text, structured data, encrypted information or anything else.
|Magic:||- / -|
General Data File related extensions:
- bvc BV QSL Management Data
- smp Reason NN19 Sampler Instrument Patch
- vr1 Advance Design Results File
- omar SOCSIM Output Marriage File
- fst PLINK Fixation Index Report
- vmsg VMware Workstation Messages
.dat - Affymetrix Image Data File
The DAT data files are related to Affymetrix Genechip. The DAT file is a Affymetrix Image Data File. This data file containing raw image data (pixel intensity values).
Affymetrix Image Data File related extensions:
- nvsg NVIDIA SceniX Data
- tso The Studio Organizer Data
- tgf libigl Control Handle Graphs
- spk SPARKvue v1.0 Data
- fmpp FLAMES Model Prototype Data
- istr IsoStar Library of Intermolecular Interactions Data
.dat - DataFlex Database File
The DAT data files are related to DataFlex. The DAT file is a DataFlex Database File. DataFlex is an advanced object-oriented 4GL designed for developing database applications in character mode environments.
DataFlex Database File related extensions:
- bad DataFlex Bad File
- bpo DataFlex Business Process Object
- dd DataFlex Data Dictionary
- dfr DataFlex Registration Data
- dg DataFlex Dialog Box Source Code
- ds DataFlex DataSet File
.dat - Treepad Database
The DAT data files are related to Treepad. The DAT file is a Treepad Database. TreePad is a tree-based Personal Information Manager (PIM).
Treepad Database related extensions:
- bbk Treepad Database Blob Backup
- blb Treepad Database Blob Data
- dbi Treepad Database DBI Data
- dbk Treepad Database Backup
- hjt Treepad v6 Database
- htmhjt Treepad v6 Text Database
.dat - Radiance Data File
The DAT data files are related to Radiance. The DAT file is a Radiance Data File. Radiance is a suite of tools for performing lighting simulation originally written by Greg Ward. It includes a renderer as well as many other tools for measuring the simulated light levels. It uses ray tracing to perform all lighting calculations, accelerated by the use of an octree data structure.
Radiance Data File related extensions:
- amb Radiance Ambient Data
- cal Radiance Function File
- hdr Radiance Map Data
- oct Radiance Octree
- rad Radiance Scene
- rgbe Radiance RGB Map Data
.dat - eM Client Database
The DAT data files are related to eM Client. The DAT file is an eM Client Database. eM Client is a Windows based e-mail client for sending and receiving e-mails, managing calendars, contacts, and tasks.
eM Client Database related extensions:
- lgo Warrior Logo Data
- ddr Microsoft SMS Discovery Data Record
- ml_ MainLog Compressed Data
- roi MotionTracking Regions of Interest Data
- mpv Microsoft Project View Data
- wrf Warrior Casing Joint Table
.dat - SVAL Frequency-time Spectrogram Data
The DAT data files are related to SVAL. The DAT file is an SVAL Frequency-time Spectrogram Data. The SVAL program is an interactive software for frequency-time analysis of dispersed signals of any dynamic and frequency range.
SVAL Frequency-time Spectrogram Data related extensions:
- all SVAL All Signal Data
- crr SVAL Correction Data
- itp SVAL Interpolated Data
- mod SVAL Modal Data
- phs SVAL Phases Data
- rdg SVAL Ridge Data
.dat - Shareaza Thumbnail Data
The DAT data files are related to Shareaza. The DAT file is a Shareaza Thumbnail Data. Shareaza is an open source P2P file-sharing client that connects to four modern networks: G2, Gnutella, eDonkey2000 and BitTorrent. The Shareaza seems to be no longer supported.
Shareaza Thumbnail Data related extensions:
- sks Shareaza Skin
.dat - SWAT Database
The DAT data files are related to SWAT. The DAT file is a SWAT Database. SWAT (Soil Water Assessment Tool) is an hydrology model with the following components: Weather, surface runoff, return flow, percolation, evapotranspiration, transmission losses, pond and reservoir storage, crop growth and irrigation, groundwater flow, reach routing, nutrient and pesticide loading, water transfer.
SWAT Database related extensions:
- bsb SWAT Sub-basin Output Data
- bsn SWAT Basin Input Data
- cal SWAT Auto-calibration Data
- chm SWAT Soil Chemical Input Data
- cio SWAT Master Watershed Data
- cod SWAT Input Control Data
.dat - SPOT Satellite Image Format Data
The DAT data files are related to SPOT. The DAT file is a SPOT Satellite Image Format Data. SPOT is a commercial high-resolution optical Earth imaging satellite system operating from space.
SPOT Satellite Image Format Data related extensions:
.dat - Inno Setup Uninstall Data
The DAT data files are related to Inno Setup. The DAT file is an Inno Setup Uninstall Data. Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs.
Inno Setup Uninstall Data related extensions:
- 4br 4D Backup Description Data
- mskin Maxthon Browser Skin
- tbe TMPGEnc Batch Encode List
- ptu PicoQuant Time Tagged File
- tmz Medigraph Compressed Database
- xbs XnView Script
.dat - Celestia Binary Database
The DAT data files are related to Celestia. The DAT file is a Celestia Binary Database. Celestia is a 3D astronomy program created by Chris Laurel. The program is based on the Hipparcos Catalogue (HIP) and allows users to travel through an extensive universe, modeled after reality, at any speed, in any direction, and at any time in history.
Celestia Binary Database related extensions:
- cel Celestia CEL Script
- celx Celestia Script File
- cfg Celestia Configuration Data
- cmod Celestia Model
- cms Celestia Simple Model Data
- dsc Celestia Deep Space Catalog
.dat - Minecraft Game Data
The DAT game data files are related to Minecraft. The DAT file is a Minecraft Game Data. Minecraft is a sandbox video game created by Swedish game developer Markus Persson and released by Mojang in 2011.
Minecraft Game Data related extensions:
- bo2 Minecraft BO2 Object
- bo3 Minecraft BO3 Object
- dat_mcr Minecraft Level Data Backup
- dat_new Minecraft New Level Data Backup
- dat_old Minecraft Old Level Data Backup
- grf Minecraft Game Rules Data
.dat - SimCity 4 Game Data
The DAT game data files are related to SimCity 4. The DAT file is a SimCity 4 Game Data. SimCity 4 (SC4) is a city-building, urban planning simulation computer game.
SimCity 4 Game Data related extensions:
- trf Train Simulator Traffic Pattern
- rpgsave RPG Maker Saved Game
- qsu Zelda Classic Quest
- z2f Zoo Tycoon 2 Data
- sbg Company of Heroes Map
- vsav VASSAL Saved Game
.dat - Windows Registry Hive Data
The DAT data files are related to Microsoft Windows. The DAT file is a Windows Registry Hive Data. The Registry database actually consists of a number of files that contain a subset of the Registry called a hive. A hive consists of one or more Registry keys, subkeys, and settings.
Windows Registry Hive Data related extensions:
- snx Intuit QuickBooks SNX Data
- vw SmartWare Custom View File
- not MakeMusic Finale Note File
- tbd Visual Studio Toolbox Data
- 86z TI-86 Calculator Zoom Data
- smgsce SolidWorks Composer Scenario Definitions Data
.dat - GameMaker Studio Audio Data Package
The DAT development files are related to GameMaker Studio. The DAT file is a GameMaker Studio Audio Data Package. GameMaker Studio is a game development tool, featuring a level editor, asset manager, code editor, and its own scripting language known as GameMaker Language (GML).
GameMaker Studio Audio Data Package related extensions:
- cox Click and Create Extension Object
- sfr µVision System Viewer Binary Data
- rsm Delphi Remote Debugging Symbols Data
- fld VersaPro Folder Contents Data
- odh Visual Studio Interface Definition Language Data
- pbo Microsoft Profiler Binary Output
.dat - Prince of Persia Game Data
The DAT game data files are related to Prince of Persia. The DAT file is a Prince of Persia Game Data. Prince of Persia is a platform game, originally developed by Jordan Mechner in 1989 for the Apple II.
Prince of Persia Game Data related extensions:
- sxa Gekido Game Data
- raf League of Legends Game Archive
- snd Liero Game Sound Effects Data
- srb Sonic Robo Blast 2 Game Data
- odf Battlezone Object Definition Data
- abg FIFA 2000 Game Data
.dat - Alan IF Adventure Data
The DAT game data files are related to Alan IF. The DAT file is an Alan IF Adventure Data. Alan is a tool for creating works of Interactive Fiction, a.k.a text adventures. It is easy to use. It's focus has always been on the authoring aspects.
Alan IF Adventure Data related extensions:
- bmx Delta Force Game Mission Data
- ddpokersave DD Poker Saved Game
- msn Descent Mission Data
- gvr Phantasy Star Online Game Resource
- nx3 Rappelz NX3 Data
- c4v Clonk Game Video
.dat - Unreal Tournament Game Data
The DAT game data files are related to Unreal Tournament. The DAT file is a Unreal Tournament Game Data. Unreal Tournament is a first-person shooter video game developed by Epic Games and Digital Extremes.
Unreal Tournament Game Data related extensions:
- mdm Mario Dash Map Data
- rmf Valve Hammer Rich Map Format Data
- dlls UFO: Alien Invasion Plugin Data
- lrn Apple Chess User Data
- lec Loom Game Data
- ddsx Stronghold Kingdoms Game Data
.nda - Nero BackItUp Drive Image
The NDA data files are related to Nero BackItUp. The NDA file is a Nero BackItUp Drive Image. Nero BackItUp is a program for backing up and restoring data.
Nero BackItUp Drive Image related extensions:
- tlc TINA Logic Converter Data
- w7s Yamaha Motif ES Song Data
- catprocess CATIA Process Data
- truck Rigs of Rods Truck Description File
- dx Oracle Siebel Transaction Data
- twb Tableau Workbook
.tec - Tecplot ASCII Data
The TEC data files are related to Tecplot. The TEC file is a Tecplot ASCII Data. Tecplot is an interactive plotting program for visualising and analysing engineering and scientific data.
Tecplot ASCII Data related extensions:
It is important to understand that the .dat file extension is not limited to a particular set of applications. Other programs besides the intended ones can also use the .dat extension to create files. This includes potentially harmful programs or malware that may generate .dat files for various purposes. Be especially cautious with .dat files coming from untrusted or unknown sources.
Can't open a .dat file?
When you double-click a file to open it, Windows examines the filename extension. If Windows recognizes the filename extension, it opens the file in the program that is associated with that filename extension. When Windows does not recognize an extension, you receive the following message:
Select an app to open this .dat file
To set the .dat file association in Windows 11, you can follow these steps
- Open the Settings app by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the gear icon.
- In the Settings app, click on System and then select Apps from the left-hand side menu.
- Scroll down and click on the Default apps option.
- Under the Default apps section, you will find various categories such as Email, Web browser, and Music player.
- Locate the category that matches the file type you want to associate, such as Photos for image files or Video player for video files.
- Click on the current default app listed under the category. A list of available apps will appear.
- Choose the app you want to set as the default for that file type. If the desired app is not listed, click on More apps to see additional options or click on Look for an app in the Microsoft Store to search for apps in the Store.
- After selecting the app, it will become the default choice for opening files of that type.
It's worth mentioning that you don't always need to set .dat file association. Many applications can open .dat files without requiring any specific file association to be set.
The .dat file extension is often given incorrectly
Based on searches conducted on our site in the past year, we have compiled a list of the most common misspellings. These frequent misspellings can cause confusion and hinder search accuracy. Our goal in providing this list is to help users find the right information more easily and enhance their overall search experience on our website.
These misspellings were the most common in the past year:
adt, at, cat, da, daf, dag, dah, dar, day, dt, dta, dwt, dxt, dzt, fat
Is it possible that the filename extension is misspelled?
There is a possibility that the .dat filename extension is misspelled. To assist users in identifying potential errors, we provide a list of similar file extensions in our database.
Filename extensions similar to .dat:
- cat Quicken IntelliCharge Categorization
- daf Duplicator Pro DupArchive Format Data
- dta Sonic Robo Blast 2 WAD Data
- rat Houdini 3D Random Access Texture Map
- adt IBM AIX Application Development Toolkit Data
- cat TablEdit Chord Catalog
At DataTypes.net, we strive to provide a seamless user experience by ensuring compatibility with a wide range of operating systems. The following is a comprehensive list of the operating systems currently supported by DataTypes.net:
Windows XP/Vista, Windows 7/8/10, Windows 11, CentOS, Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Mac OS X, iOS, Android
Verified by DataTypes.net
The verification conducted by the DataTypes.net team ensures that the information presented is accurate, reliable, and thoroughly researched. Users can rely on DataTypes.net as a trusted source of information, knowing that their team's dedication to verification and quality control provides a dependable resource for staying informed.
DataTypes.net is not liable for the content and accuracy of external links, even if we exercise careful control over them.
If you find the information on this .dat page useful, please feel free to link to this page.