IDL file format description
Many people often share .idl files without providing instructions on how to use them. This can make it difficult for users to determine which program is compatible for editing, converting, or printing .idl files. To address this issue, we have created this page to offer assistance and guidance on handling .idl files. We provide information on compatible software, editing instructions and conversion options to help users effectively interact with .idl files.
Our aim is to simplify the process and promote seamless use of the .idl file format.
4 filename extension(s) found in our database.
.idl - Interface Definition File
The IDL development files are related to MIDL Compiler. The IDL file is an Interface Definition File. Microsoft Interface Definition Language (MIDL) is a text-based interface description language by Microsoft, based on the DCE/RPC IDL. Its compiler is also called MIDL.
Interface Definition File related extensions:
- basex BaseX Data
- ac GNU Autoconf Input File
- daschema RemObjects Data Abstract Schema
- dex Android Compiled Executable
- physx Nvidia Physx Data
- dep Visual Studio Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File
.idl - OMG CORBA Interface Definition Language File
The IDL development files are related to OMG CORBA. The IDL file is an OMG CORBA Interface Definition Language File. CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture) is a standard architecture for distributed object systems.
OMG CORBA Interface Definition Language File related extensions:
- lst WinDev HyperFileSQL List Data
- tr Turbo Debugger Session-state Settings
- ian COOL:Jex Business Team Model
- gradle Android Studio Gradle Properties
- jscript JScript Source Code
- lkf ST Visual Develop IDE Link Data
.idl - CRiSP Harvest Inter-Dam Loss Data
The IDL data files are related to CRiSP Harvest. The IDL file is a CRiSP Harvest Inter-Dam Loss Data. CRiSP Harvest Model is a user-friendly computer model that simulates the harvest of 30 chinook salmon stocks by 25 fisheries over an extended time horizon.
CRiSP Harvest Inter-Dam Loss Data related extensions:
- or8 IBM Rational Rose Oracle8 Database Model Report
- etd Adobe Reader EBX Transfer Data File
- lib FluidDraw Library
- qt2 ViewChoice QT2 Data
- mml MyMailList and AddressBook Data
- pil ETCBC PIL Data
.idl - Visual Studio C++ Interface Definition Library
The IDL development files are related to Microsoft Visual Studio. The IDL file is a Visual Studio C++ Interface Definition Library. A Visual C++ project file is an XML-based file that has the .vcxproj file name extension and contains information that is required to build a Visual C++ project.
Visual Studio C++ Interface Definition Library related extensions:
It is important to understand that the .idl file extension is not limited to a particular set of applications. Other programs besides the intended ones can also use the .idl extension to create files. This includes potentially harmful programs or malware that may generate .idl files for various purposes. Be especially cautious with .idl files coming from untrusted or unknown sources.
Can't open a .idl file?
When you double-click a file to open it, Windows examines the filename extension. If Windows recognizes the filename extension, it opens the file in the program that is associated with that filename extension. When Windows does not recognize an extension, you receive the following message:
Select an app to open this .idl file
To set the .idl file association in Windows 11, you can follow these steps
- Open the Settings app by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the gear icon.
- In the Settings app, click on System and then select Apps from the left-hand side menu.
- Scroll down and click on the Default apps option.
- Under the Default apps section, you will find various categories such as Email, Web browser, and Music player.
- Locate the category that matches the file type you want to associate, such as Photos for image files or Video player for video files.
- Click on the current default app listed under the category. A list of available apps will appear.
- Choose the app you want to set as the default for that file type. If the desired app is not listed, click on More apps to see additional options or click on Look for an app in the Microsoft Store to search for apps in the Store.
- After selecting the app, it will become the default choice for opening files of that type.
It's worth mentioning that you don't always need to set .idl file association. Many applications can open .idl files without requiring any specific file association to be set.
The .idl file extension is often given incorrectly
Based on searches conducted on our site in the past year, we have compiled a list of the most common misspellings. These frequent misspellings can cause confusion and hinder search accuracy. Our goal in providing this list is to help users find the right information more easily and enhance their overall search experience on our website.
These misspellings were the most common in the past year:
dil, dl, icl, id, id1, idi, idk, idm, ido, idp, iel, ifl, il, ild, irl
Is it possible that the filename extension is misspelled?
There is a possibility that the .idl filename extension is misspelled. To assist users in identifying potential errors, we provide a list of similar file extensions in our database.
Filename extensions similar to .idl:
- dl Masked Dynamic Link Library
- idp IBM PComm Interchange Document Profile
- isl InstallShield Pro Log
- ild ILDA Frames
- idk Interface Development Kit Archive
- ild Atari 8-bit Interlace Logo Designer Image
At DataTypes.net, we strive to provide a seamless user experience by ensuring compatibility with a wide range of operating systems. The following is a comprehensive list of the operating systems currently supported by DataTypes.net:
Windows XP/Vista, Windows 7/8/10, Windows 11, CentOS, Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Mac OS X, iOS, Android
Verified by DataTypes.net
The verification conducted by the DataTypes.net team ensures that the information presented is accurate, reliable, and thoroughly researched. Users can rely on DataTypes.net as a trusted source of information, knowing that their team's dedication to verification and quality control provides a dependable resource for staying informed.
DataTypes.net is not liable for the content and accuracy of external links, even if we exercise careful control over them.
If you find the information on this .idl page useful, please feel free to link to this page.